Pages

Thursday 3 January 2019

Summer Learning Journey : Week 3 Up, Up and Away : Day 2: The Air Up There

Hi bloggers, i have attended the summer learning journey 2018 - 2019. Here are my activity's. 

Activity 1: Bee Informed [4 points] (To see the questions go on the summer learning journey site).
So most people ignore bees. But for this activity i have fill in the missing sentences. About unbee-lievable facts about bees let get into it!
1. The word 'bumblebee' is a compound word ( bumble + bee ). The word 'bumble' means to buzz or drone.
2. Bumblebees can fly very quickly. They can reach ground speeds of 54 kilometres per hour (km/h).
3. Bumblebees are very strong! They carry up to 90% of their body weight in food with them to avoid starvation.
4. Bumblebees can do more work and carry more pollen than other bees, including honeybees. In fact they can do up to 50 times more work than honeybees.
5. The number of bumblebees is declining in New Zealand due to a number of factors, including the removal of wildflowers and flowering trees, habitat loss, and extensive use of pesticides. 

Activity 2: Carbon Sinks Don’t Stink! [4 points]
For this activity i had to design my own sink and add disgusting foods. Here's what i would add.
1. Cucumbers, now please don't hate on me for this i am not a big fan of cucumbers when people ask me why my excuse is i'm allergic although i am not sure if that's possible.
2. Rotten banana, i hate the smell and the feeling.
3. Mouldy bread, the look and the smell really disgust me!
That is all comment down below what you think!

Activity 3: Flying Fungi [10 points]
Here is what i think. 
So i think if i take the number of days and and multiple it by how many fungi s there are which give me my final answer 35 days and 5 weeks.

Thanks For Reading (Special Thanks To Summer Learning Journey Team Members)



3 comments:

  1. Kia ora Luseane,

    Wow, I did not know all that information about bumble bees. I have a greater appreciation for the work that they do. It was hard to choose just one fact but one that I found really interesting is that they can work 50 times harder than a honey bee. Now either the honey bee's are slack at working or the bumble bee's are just constantly working at a very high pace. I am in awe. How amazing are they. What fact did you find the most interesting when you did that activity?

    I laughed out loud when you mentioned that you tell people you are allergic to cucumbers, even though you don't know. That is hilarious. I would probably tell people I am allergic to Brussels sprouts, even though I know this is not true. I agree with you, rotten bananas are not the nicest. However, I have a solution for you. Just before they go too rotten, put them in the freezer. These are great to make smoothies for breakfast in the mornings. I buy the bruised bananas off the local corner store so that I have an endless supply.

    In regards to activity 3, you are absolutely right. It would take 35 days to clear up, however, I doubt the company would work on a Saturday and Sunday as well. If they were to work between Monday and Friday, how many weeks would it take them? I would love to see you explain in detail how you have worked out your answers. Take into consideration that this activity is worth 10 points so I would love to see more information.

    I am looking forward to reading your response.

    Kindest regards,
    Megan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan, thanks for commenting. Bees are super cool but kinda nerve racking. I've got to say i was most interested in fact 5 i had no idea they were declining. I'll have a think and come back.

      Blog You Later

      Delete
  2. Hi Luseane,
    Well done on finishing these Summer Learning Journey activities. You did a great job filling in the blanks of the bumblebee information paragraphs. Hopefully one day the numbers of the bumblebee population in New Zealand would grow again. It's really unfortunate that you are allergic to cucumbers because they are my favorite vegetables. They taste so delicious. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.